Kids Cafe is an after-school program that offers nutritious, well-balanced hot meals to children at risk of hunger. Initiated by Feeding America, Kids Cafe provides a safe and positive environment for children ages 15 and under to get fed after school. Kids Cafes provide our local children a grassroots approach to alleviating childhood hunger and to promote self-esteem and individual development.
The South Texas Food Bank's Kids Cafe program currently supports 15 Kids Cafe programs in Laredo and surroundings areas and two pilot sites in Bruni and Mirando City. An average of 1,000 children participated in the program close to 150,000 meals were served in 2011.
Each Kids Cafe site is operated in partnership with a respected community agency in order to provide the attention and accountability needed to ensure quality programs for children. Although the details and schedules vary by site, most sites feature tutoring, nutrition education, general enrichment activities, mentoring, and nutritious meals.
The Kids Cafes are here to provide free meals and snacks to low-income children through a variety of community locations where children already congregate such as the Boys and Girls Clubs and other community centers.
All children are welcome to come and enjoy nutritiously balanced food.
Children and teenagers 17 years of age or younger are welcome. The meals are prepared fresh on a daily basis by Cafe Site volunteers and other community and non-profit kitchenettes like Bethany House and Laredo Job Corps (below).
There are no economic/income guidelines or restrictions and no applications are needed. NO CHILD IS TURNED AWAY!
Hot meals: Monday – Friday between 3:30p.m. – 5:00 p.m. (Times may vary)
KIDS CAFE SITES:
Currently, there are 16 Cafes in three South Texas counties:
- Boys and Girls Club Kids Café (500 Moctezuma) (Laredo, TX)
- Boys and Girls Club Kids Café - Los Presidentes (3900 Los Presidentes)
- Pan de Vida (Agua Viva) Community Center Kids Cafe (Faith Based) (3520 Cecilia Lane) (El Cenizo, TX)
- LHA Ana M. Lozano Community Center Kids Cafe(6500 Springfield) (Laredo, TX)
- LHA Carlos Richter Community Center Kids Café (1600 Circle Dr.) (Laredo, TX)
- LHA Meadow Acres Housing Community Center Kids Café (1641 Elm) (Laredo, TX)
- LHA Russell Terrace Housing Community Center Kids Café (500 Richter) (Laredo, TX)
- Guadalupe Housing Community Center Kids Café (2000 San Francisco) (Laredo, TX)
- LHA South Laredo Community Center Kids Cafe(3501 S. Arkansas) (Laredo, TX)
- El Cenizo Community Center Kids Café (3519 Cecilia) (El Cenizo, TX)
- Larga Vista Community Center Kids Café (5401 Larga Vista Dr.) (Laredo, TX)
- Rio Bravo Community Center Kids Cafe (1600 Orquidia) (Laredo, TX)
- Bruni Community Center (303 E. 12th St.) (Bruni, TX)
- Quad City Community Center (917 N. Main St.) (Mirando City, TX)
- Seco Mines Community Center - Sponsored by Shell Oil (2989 Sanchez Ave) (Eagle Pass, TX)
- Carrizo Springs Elementary School Kids Café - Sponsored by Shell Oil (605 9th Street) (Carrizo Springs, TX)
- Zapata County - PENDING
Sponsor or start your own Kids Cafes:
We have 15 Kids Café in Laredo and surrounding areas and two pilot sites in Bruni and Mirando City that really need your help. Become a godparent to one of our Kids Cafes, sponsor a meal, a holiday, or sponsor a site. Contact the South Texas Food Bank Development Office for more sponsorhip information.
Volunteer Opportunities Available:
Students, youth and civic organizations are encouraged to volunteer! Volunteers are always welcomed -we can always use an extra pair of hands to help with preparations of food, activities, etc. at any of our 13 sites!
You can voluteer at any of our Kids Cafe locations as a tutor, server, or even help with activities.
Need more information about the program, volunteering, or sponsoring a Kids Cafe? Contact:
Dr. Jesse Olivarez
South Texas Food Bank